- a dish of many ingredients.
- Informal. olla podrida(def 2).
- a mixture of heterogeneous elements; hodgepodge.
- a medley or potpourri, as of musical or literary selections; miscellany.
- a specialty act performed downstage while the upstage set is changed.
- a performance, as a musical number, presented between scenes or acts.
- drop scene(def 1).
- a program of variety acts, especially the second half of a minstrel show.
Origin of olio
Related Words for oliocollection, hash, hodgepodge, jumble, medley, mishmash, mixture, potpourri, stew
Examples from the Web for olio
Contemporary Examples of olio
The result was Olio Lusso, a blend of eleven essential oils derived from flowers and botanicals.65-Year-Old Linda Rodin Named the Newest Model for The Row
January 13, 2014
Some other recommendations are Las Brisas from Jorge Ordoñez, Yellingbo Gold unfiltered, Rainieri, Olio Verde, and Trampetti.The Secrets to Buying Olive Oil
December 1, 2009
Historical Examples of olio
That'll be all for the olio; I'll go right into the after-show now.From Place to Place
Irvin S. Cobb
An age, or a country; or an olio of all ages and all countries?'Tancred
I might indeed, following the example of the Sunday newsmonger, call it the Olio.The Works of William Cowper
I must have an olio pot,' she said, 'an olio pot, and the heaviest one.The Queen Pedauque
If you could do anything at all, Hannah, you'd lead a chorus and go in the olio.The Happy End
- a dish of many different ingredients
- a miscellany or potpourri
Word Origin for olio
medley dish of Iberian origin, 1640s, from Spanish olla, Portuguese olha, both from Vulgar Latin olla "pot, jar." Sense transferred to "any mixture or medley."