- catlike; feline.
- slyly malicious; spiteful: a catty gossip.
Origin of catty1
SynonymsSee more synonyms for catty on Thesaurus.com
2. mean, nasty, malevolent; bitchy.
- (in China and southeast Asia) a weight equal to about 1½ pounds (680 grams) avoirdupois.
Origin of catty2
1545–55; < Malaykati
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for catty
“Catty, petty, and self-serving,” is how one of those way-right-of-center folk described Geithner to me.Ex-Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner Relives College Glory Days
May 13, 2014
Catty quips about style choices are met with irrational exuberance over over-hyped new designs.How Sneaker Culture Conquered the World
March 16, 2014
Victoria (Madeleine Stowe) and Nolan (Gabriel Mann) are as catty and delightful as ever, but the rest of the show feels tired.‘Breaking Bad’ Finale, ‘Homeland’ Premiere: How to Survive DVRmageddon
September 29, 2013
Meanwhile, the gay Republican group, GOProud, cut their own ad, describing Frank as a “catty.”What If Barney Loses?
Samuel P. Jacobs
October 25, 2010
And not just catty little spats between debutantes—smack-talking text messages frequently led to physical altercations.Mean Girls Love-Triangle Murder
August 6, 2010
Catty, my dear, your back's asy up, but it's asy down again.Tales And Novels, Volume 8 (of 10)
Repton has a copy of it, too, with Catty's signature,—old Catty Broon.
Godfrey imperiously ordered them away; they all obeyed but Catty.
"'Tis her own father's nature is strong in her," said Catty, with enthusiasm.
"A secret, indeed," said Catty, shaking her head mournfully.The Martins Of Cro' Martin, Vol. I (of II)
Charles James Lever
- informal spitefula catty remark
- of or resembling a cat
- a unit of weight, used esp in E Asia, traditionally equal to about one and a half pounds but formalized as 0.5 kg in mainland China, 0.6 kg in Taiwan and Thailand, and about 0.605 kg in Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore(Mandarin) Chinese name:: jin
C16: from Malay kati
Word Origin and History for catty
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper