- a plural of centrum.
- a center.
- Anatomy, Zoology. the body of a vertebra.
- Mycology. collectively, all the structures enclosed within the ascocarp of a fungus.
Origin of centrum
Related Words for centraheart, place, hub, kernel, essence, focus, seat, pivot, midst, axis, interior, core, gist, midpoint, nucleus, marrow, mainstream, inside, pith, quick
Examples from the Web for centra
Historical Examples of centra
The vertebr have the faces of their centra more or less bi-concave.Extinct Monsters
H. N. Hutchinson
In the Ichthyosauria the neural arches were united to the centra by cartilage only.
The vertebrae are generally without epiphyses to their centra.
This sheath forms the basis of the centra of the future vertebr.The Works of Francis Maitland Balfour, Volume III (of 4)
Francis Maitland Balfour
Injuries to the centra were very frequent, but differed extraordinarily in their importance.Surgical Experiences in South Africa, 1899-1900
George Henry Makins
- a plural of centrum
- the main part or body of a vertebra
Word Origin for centrum
- A center of any kind, especially an anatomical center.
- The major part of a vertebra, exclusive of the bases of the neural arch.