- a center.
- Anatomy, Zoology. the body of a vertebra.
- Mycology. collectively, all the structures enclosed within the ascocarp of a fungus.
Origin of centrum
Related Words for centrumheart, place, hub, kernel, essence, focus, seat, pivot, midst, axis, interior, core, gist, midpoint, nucleus, marrow, mainstream, inside, pith, quick
Examples from the Web for centrum
Historical Examples of centrum
One of the vertebr of the back had a body, or centrum, ten inches long.Extinct Monsters
H. N. Hutchinson
Arch nearly as broad as the anterior epiphysis of the centrum.
Tenth lumbar (last): Centrum like that in Barnegat skeleton.
Neural arch and spine only slightly higher than length of centrum.
The centrum is short, and has its terminations vertically truncated.The Vertebrate Skeleton
Sidney H. Reynolds
- the main part or body of a vertebra
Word Origin for centrum
- A center of any kind, especially an anatomical center.
- The major part of a vertebra, exclusive of the bases of the neural arch.