- belonging or pertaining to the Cephalochordata.
- any chordate animal of the subphylum Cephalochordata, having fishlike characters but lacking a spinal column, comprising the lancelets.
Origin of cephalochordate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any chordate animal of the subphylum Cephalochordata, having a fishlike body and no vertebral column; a lancelet
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Cephalochordata
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A member of the subphylum Cephalochordata of the phylum Chordata, whose only living species are the lancelets. See more at lancelet. Compare hemichordate.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.