- the presiding officer of a meeting, committee, board, etc.
- the administrative head of a department in a high school, college, or university.
- someone employed to carry or wheel a person in a chair.
- to act as or be chairman of (a meeting, committee, etc.).
Origin of chairman
Related Words for chairmenspokesman, administrator, chairperson, director, leader, chairwoman, monitor, moderator, speaker, president, chair, captain, principal, toastmaster, introducer, presider, prolocutor
Examples from the Web for chairmen
Contemporary Examples of chairmen
To this end, the chairmen of the two committees are asking (PDF) the IRS for answers.Obamacare Covers Foreign Diplomats
October 29, 2014
They marshaled their underlings in San Pedro Sula and set to recruiting a whole new crop of chairmen for their army.The Deported L.A. Gangs Behind This Border Kid Crisis
July 11, 2014
Eleven Democratic Committee chairmen have also said they oppose moving forward to a vote at this time.Iran Sanctions Battle Heats Up
January 15, 2014
Herbert was one of the three chairmen and two subcommittee chairmen deposed that January.Memo: The Aaron Sorkin Model of Political Discourse Doesn't Actually Work
April 23, 2013
Speaker Nancy Pelosi drives her chairmen hard, cares about the issue, and approaches its politics skillfully.Running Scared
September 29, 2009
Historical Examples of chairmen
The solitary passenger was startled by the chairmen's cry of 'By your leave there!'Barnaby Rudge
Once the queen's chairmen, not knowing who she was, went from her.The Memoirs of Count Grammont, Complete
The canopy is held up by prelates, and the chairmen are in knee-breeches and red velvet.The Eternal City
What if I burst through this slavery of patrons and chairmen and boards?One Of Them
Charles James Lever
I have had experience of hundreds of chairmen, and admired most of them.Literary Tours in The Highlands and Islands of Scotland
Daniel Turner Holmes
- Also called: chairperson, (fem) chairwoman a person who presides over a company's board of directors, a committee, a debate, an administrative department, etc
- history someone who carries a sedan chair