- to inflict suffering upon for purposes of moral improvement; chastise.
- to restrain; subdue: Age has chastened his violent temper.
- to make chaste in style.
Origin of chasten
SynonymsSee more synonyms for chasten on Thesaurus.com
1. discipline, punish. 2. humble. 3. purify, simplify.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chastener
It is ours then to bow to the Chastener and let our honored and loved chieftain go.The Underground Railroad
- to bring to a state of submission; subdue; tame
- to discipline or correct by punishment
- to moderate; restrain; temper
C16: from Old French chastier, from Latin castigāre; see castigate
Word Origin and History for chastener
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper