- of, like, or befitting a child: childish games.
- puerile; weak; silly: childish fears.
Origin of childish
2. Childish, infantile, childlike refer to characteristics or qualities of childhood. The ending -ish often has unfavorable connotations; childish therefore refers to characteristics that are undesirable and unpleasant: childish selfishness, outbursts of temper. Infantile, originally a general word, now often carries an even stronger idea of disapproval or scorn than does childish : infantile reasoning, behavior. The ending -like has pleasing or neutral connotations; childlike therefore refers to the characteristics that are desirable and admirable: childlike innocence, trust.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsignorance, imperfection, rawness, greenness, incompleteness, childishness, puerility, callowness, infantilism, candor, frankness, simplicity, inexperience, naturalness, openness, credulity, guilelessness, ingenuousness, gullibility
Examples from the Web for childishness
And as a purveyor of childishness myself, I understand how annoying it can be.The First Amendment Works, But Does it Work Blue?
July 19, 2014
Looking at the roots of larp makes the hobby easier to take seriously and divorces the desire from childishness.Live Action Role Play’s Rich Tudor History
July 20, 2012
Barefaced audacity amounting to childishness of a peculiar sort.The Secret Agent
This childishness our country has not yet succeeded in getting rid of.My Reminiscences
And the poor child smiled at her own childishness and simplicity.My New Curate
There was no evasion in her reply; her only reproach was for his childishness in blabbing.Unwritten Literature of Hawaii
Nathaniel Bright Emerson
He smiled now at the childishness of his attitude toward Nan.The Root of Evil
- in the manner of, belonging to, or suitable to a child
- foolish or petty; puerilechildish fears
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for childishness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper