- of, like, or decorated with chintz.
- cheap, inferior, or gaudy.
- stingy; miserly: a chintzy way to entertain guests.
Origin of chintzy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for chintzy on Thesaurus.com
3. cheap, close, niggardly, stinting.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chintzy
She felt oddly perturbed when at last she reached the seclusion of her chintzy bedroom underneath the sloping roof.
"It's odd I should find you here, Mr. Fitzroy," said Mrs. Shaw, settling her rustling skirts on a chintzy chair.The Invader
Margaret L. Woods
It's chintzy and cozy and old-fashioned looking, yet really it's up to or ahead of date.The Lightning Conductor Discovers America
C. N. (Charles Norris) Williamson and A. M. (Alice Muriel) Williamson
The chintzy bedroom under the sloping roof was very still and quiet.
We'll keep nearly all this furniture, and add to it chintzy sofas and easy chairs.Abington Abbey
- of, resembling, or covered with chintz
- British informal typical of the decor associated with the use of chintz soft furnishings, as in a country cottage
Word Origin and History for chintzy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper