- moderation or self-restraint in action, statement, etc.; self-control.
- habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion, especially in the use of alcoholic liquors.
- total abstinence from alcoholic liquors.
Origin of temperance
Related Words for temperancecontrol, stoicism, self-denial, measure, mortification, teetotalism, abstemiousness, continence, soberness, discretion, self-control, frugality, sobriety, restraint, sacrifice, prudence, prohibition, moderation, austerity, constraint
Examples from the Web for temperance
Contemporary Examples of temperance
More importantly, Longworth viewed wine as a critical piece of the temperance movement.America’s First Great Wine…Made in 1842
November 23, 2013
Resistance to “The Star-Spangled Banner” also flared among blacks, pacifists, and advocates of temperance.Star-Spangled Confederates: How Southern Sympathizers Decided Our National Anthem
July 4, 2013
Historical Examples of temperance
This from the leader of the temperance movement in Radville?The Fortune Hunter
Louis Joseph Vance
Economy may be styled the daughter of Prudence, the sister of Temperance, and the mother of Liberty.Self-Help
Temperance in diet and exercise, with frequent washing and bathing, are the best means of preserving a healthful countenance.
But let me ask you another question: Has excess of pleasure any affinity to temperance?
Certainly, he said, that is the true account of temperance whether in the State or individual.
- restraint or moderation, esp in yielding to one's appetites or desires
- abstinence from alcoholic drink
Word Origin for temperance
mid-14c., "self-restraint, moderation," from Anglo-French temperaunce (mid-13c.), from Latin temperantia "moderation," from temperans, present participle of temperare "to moderate" (see temper). Latin temperantia was used by Cicero to translate Greek sophrosyne "moderation." In English, temperance was used to render Latin continentia or abstinentia, specifically in reference to drinking alcohol and eating; hence by early 1800s it came to mean "abstinence from alcoholic drink."
- Moderation and self-restraint, as in behavior or expression.
- Restraint in the use of or abstinence from alcoholic liquors.