- chubby; fat.
- swollen with pride; proud; elated.
Origin of chuff2
Examples from the Web for chuffer
The plutocrat has his chuffer, a minion of greed and pelf; the poor man must weep and suffer, and drive his own car himself.Rippling Rhymes
- a puffing sound of or as if of a steam engine
- (intr) to move while emitting such soundsthe train chuffed on its way
- dialect a boor; churl; sullen fellow
- (tr; usually passive) British slang to please or delighthe was chuffed by his pay rise
Word Origin and History for chuffer
"pleased, happy," c.1860, British dialect, from obsolete chuff "swollen with fat" (1520s). A second British dialectal chuff has an opposite meaning, "displeased, gruff" (1832), from chuff "rude fellow," or, as Johnson has it, "a coarse, fat-headed, blunt clown" (mid-15c.), of unknown origin. Related: Chuffed.