- to hit hard, especially on the head.
- clonk(def 2).
Origin of clunk
Examples from the Web for clunking
Historical Examples of clunking
Verdure and a mild heaven are above; clunking frogs and plants that keep company with man are beneath.
- a blow or the sound of a blow
- a dull metallic sound
- a dull or stupid person
- mainly Scot
- the gurgling sound of a liquid
- the sound of a cork being removed from a bottle
- to make or cause to make such a sound
Word Origin for clunk
1796, "to make the sound of a cork being pulled from a bottle;" imitative. This was the main sense through most of 19c. Meaning "to hit, strike" is attested from 1940s. Related: Clunked; clunking.