- the large, hard-shelled seed of the coconut palm, lined with a white edible meat, and containing a milky liquid.
- the meat of the coconut, often shredded and used in cooking, as a flavoring, and as a dessert topping.
- coconut palm.
- Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a person of color, especially a person of Latin-American or South Asian origin or descent, who is regarded as having adopted the attitudes, values, and behavior thought to be characteristic of middle-class white society, at the expense of his or her ethnic heritage.Compare Oreo.
Origin of coconut
Examples from the Web for cocoanut
Historical Examples of cocoanut
He thought that, at last, he had reached the milk in the cocoanut.Cap'n Dan's Daughter
Joseph C. Lincoln
It is lined with cocoanut matting and had taken no impression of any kind.The Return of Sherlock Holmes
Arthur Conan Doyle
Each one of the cocoanut trees in our garden had for me a distinct personality.My Reminiscences
If there is a Deshmukh3 of the village, a cocoanut and betel-leaf are also given to him.
The cocoanut is largely used for culinary purposes in the Islands.The Philippine Islands
- the fruit of the coconut palm, consisting of a thick fibrous oval husk inside which is a thin hard shell enclosing edible white meat. The hollow centre is filled with a milky fluid (coconut milk)
- the meat of the coconut, often shredded and used in cakes, curries, etc
- (as modifier)coconut cake
- slang, derogatory a black or Asian person who conforms to white culture at the expense of his or her ancestral culture, the idea being that, like a coconut, he or she is dark on the outside and white on the inside