[koh-kuh-nuht, -nuh t]
- the large, hard-shelled seed of the coconut palm, lined with a white edible meat, and containing a milky liquid.
- the meat of the coconut, often shredded and used in cooking, as a flavoring, and as a dessert topping.
- coconut palm.
- Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. a person of color, especially a person of Latin-American or South Asian origin or descent, who is regarded as having adopted the attitudes, values, and behavior thought to be characteristic of middle-class white society, at the expense of his or her ethnic heritage.Compare Oreo.
Origin of coconut
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordscoconut, brain, skull, belfry, upstairs, attic, crown, dome, cranium, noggin, scalp, pate, poll, noddle, thinker, noodle, capitulum
Examples from the Web for coconut
Sports drinks and coconut water, which is lower in sugar, can also redeem electrolytes lost while drinking, says White.5 Hangover Cures to Save You After a Few Too Many
December 19, 2014
His cannabis-infused menus range from truffle tuna casserole and coconut chicken to French toast and omelets.Meet the Julia Child of Weed
November 13, 2014
Unlike sports beverages, coconut water is low in carbohydrates, while still rich in potassium.10 Ways to Stay Hydrated (That Aren’t Water)
July 25, 2014
I lasted about five minutes and then, BAM, the coconut oil ended up in my garbage.
I popped a teaspoon of coconut oil (purchased at Trader Joe's) into my mouth and took very deep breaths through my nose.
Coconut for this purpose may be secured in a number of forms.
Beat, and when it begins to get thick, add the nuts and coconut.
And then all about were the coconut trees, as fanciful as women, and as vain.The Trembling of a Leaf
William Somerset Maugham
The itching is relieved by an action similar to that of shredding a coconut.A Dictionary of Cebuano Visayan
John U. Wolff
This was a supply that would provide 4,000 tons of coconut shells every day.America's Munitions 1917-1918
- the fruit of the coconut palm, consisting of a thick fibrous oval husk inside which is a thin hard shell enclosing edible white meat. The hollow centre is filled with a milky fluid (coconut milk)
- the meat of the coconut, often shredded and used in cakes, curries, etc
- (as modifier)coconut cake
- slang, derogatory a black or Asian person who conforms to white culture at the expense of his or her ancestral culture, the idea being that, like a coconut, he or she is dark on the outside and white on the inside
C18: see coco
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for coconut
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper