- a brief treatment or account of a subject, especially an extensive subject; concise treatise: a compendium of medicine.
- a summary, epitome, or abridgment.
- a full list or inventory: a compendium of their complaints.
Origin of compendium
Synonyms for compendium
Related Words for compendiasketch, essence, abstract, manual, brief, summary, syllabus, survey, conspectus, overview, handbook, epitome, guide, digest, pandect
Examples from the Web for compendia
Contemporary Examples of compendia
How to Be Inappropriateby Daniel Nester A TMI compendia of inappropriate and humorous nonfiction.This Week's Hot Reads
The Daily Beast
November 2, 2009
Historical Examples of compendia
From the 1780s on, cups with brass syringes began to appear in compendia of instruments.
There is a large number of small treatises and compendia of Florentine history of the guide-book description.
- British a book containing a collection of useful hints
- British a selection, esp of different games or other objects in one container
- a concise but comprehensive summary of a larger work