- the act of consuming, as by use, decay, or destruction.
- the amount consumed: the high consumption of gasoline.
- Economics. the using up of goods and services having an exchangeable value.
- Older Use.tuberculosis of the lungs.
- progressive wasting of the body.
Origin of consumption
Synonyms for consumption
Related Words for consumptionsexpenditure, utilization, drinking, loss, eating, burning, decay, misuse, ruin, devastation, dissipation, damage, dispersion, depletion, decrease, diminution, waste, desolation, exhaustion, destruction
Examples from the Web for consumptions
Historical Examples of consumptions
There are consumptions and fierce neuralgias close on the track.The Abominations of Modern Society
Rev. T. De Witt Talmage
If colds and consumptions are frequent in England, it is more to be attributed to the habits of the people than the climate.Tour in England, Ireland, and France, in the years 1826, 1827, 1828 and 1829.
This is not kept in the shop, but is worth making for young Children inclining to Hectics and Consumptions.Every Day Life in the Massachusetts Bay Colony
George Francis Dow
Their consumptions are accidental ostentation and extravagance, not a normal consummation or fulfilment of activity.Human Nature and Conduct
This burner may be made of any size, and for consumptions not exceeding that of an ordinary Argand.
- the act of consuming or the state of being consumed, esp by eating, burning, etc
- economics expenditure on goods and services for final personal use
- the quantity consumed
- pathol a condition characterized by a wasting away of the tissues of the body, esp as seen in tuberculosis of the lungs
Word Origin for consumption
Word Origin and History for consumptions
late 14c., "wasting of the body by disease; wasting disease" (replacing Old English yfeladl "the evil disease"), from Old French consumpcion, from Latin consumptionem (nominative consumptio) "a using up, wasting," noun of state from past participle stem of consumere (see consume). Meaning "the using up of material" is 1530s.
- The act or process of using up something.
- A progressive wasting of body tissue.
- Pulmonary tuberculosis. No longer in technical use.