- to destroy or expend by use; use up.
- to eat or drink up; devour.
- to destroy, as by decomposition or burning: Fire consumed the forest.
- to spend (money, time, etc.) wastefully.
- to absorb; engross: consumed with curiosity.
- to undergo destruction; waste away.
- to use or use up consumer goods.
Origin of consume
Synonyms for consumeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for consumeexhaust, expend, dominate, absorb, preoccupy, drain, employ, devour, deplete, waste, spend, obsess, feed, inhale, ingest, guzzle, swallow, devastate, overwhelm, ruin
Examples from the Web for consume
Contemporary Examples of consume
And as technology adapts to reflect the ways we consume media, so too is the family adapting to technology.Binge Watching is the New Bonding Time
The Daily Beast
December 10, 2014
This is just the way we consume TV now: our favorite shows, whenever we want them, wherever we want them.New Innovations Let You Watch TV Anywhere You Go
December 8, 2014
You consume a nutritionally unbalanced diet because of concerns about “food purity.”Orthorexia: When Healthy Eating Becomes an Obsession
October 25, 2014
This means supplying proteins and fats because our bodies tend to need to eat less frequently when we consume them.‘Good Poop’ Diet Is the Next Big Thing
October 7, 2014
She is equally desirous of Levine, as animalistic and eager to consume him while sticky with sanguine fluid.Sex, Blood and Maroon 5: Pop Culture’s Wounds Run Deep
October 3, 2014
Historical Examples of consume
He sat up and began to consume his soup, scarce doing it justice.The Black Bag
Louis Joseph Vance
You're liable to start a conflagration you can't stop, and that may consume yourself, is all.Good Indian
B. M. Bower
It was not worth while to consume the time of the House about it.
It is not, of course, the root of the plant which we consume.Storyology
Every man would produce as little and consume as much as he liked.The Republic
- (tr) to eat or drink
- (tr; often passive) to engross or obsess
- (tr) to use up; expendmy car consumes little oil
- to destroy or be destroyed by burning, decomposition, etcfire consumed the forest
- (tr) to waste or squanderthe time consumed on that project was excessive
- (passive) to waste away