- to struggle in opposition: to contend with the enemy for control of the port.
- to strive in rivalry; compete; vie: to contend for first prize.
- to strive in debate; dispute earnestly: to contend against falsehood.
- to assert or maintain earnestly: He contended that taxes were too high.
Origin of contend
SynonymsSee more synonyms for contend on Thesaurus.com
1. wrestle, grapple, battle, fight. 3. argue, wrangle. 4. hold, claim.
2. See compete.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for contends
The Habsburg army, however, Watson contends, were exceptionally bloodthirsty.How WWI Produced the Holocaust
November 21, 2014
More importantly, contends Winroth, the Vikings were acting completely rationally with their raids.
The economic recovery in Europe, contends Winroth, “was during the Viking Age.”
He contends that another Islamic Jihad member watched the events from an adjacent house.Did Israel Execute Jihadists in Gaza?
September 7, 2014
Israel, however, contends that UNRWA sustains Hamas by employing and sheltering its members.War of Words Between Israel and UN Continues
August 10, 2014
Basilus, to save a young man, contends personally with the Evil One.The Dream
It also contends that "the transactions of the Board ought not to be canvassed in the newspapers."Great Astronomers
R. S. Ball
Still he contends that these may be explained on the doctrine of evolution.Evolution in Modern Thought
Yet sometimes the love which I have for them contends with the love which I have for you.The Home
He contends that it is better to be without soap than without society.Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- (intr often foll by with) to struggle in rivalry, battle, etc; vie
- to argue earnestly; debate
- (tr; may take a clause as object) to assert or maintain
C15: from Latin contendere to strive, from com- with + tendere to stretch, aim
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for contends
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper