- tending to argument or strife; quarrelsome: a contentious crew.
- causing, involving, or characterized by argument or controversy: contentious issues.
- Law. pertaining to causes between contending or opposing parties.
Origin of contentious
Synonyms for contentious
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for contentiously
Historical Examples of contentiously
- tending to argue or quarrel
- causing or characterized by dispute; controversial
- law relating to a cause or legal business that is contested, esp a probate matter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
c.1500, from Middle French contentieux, from Latin contentiosus "obstinate, quarrelsome," from contentionem (see contend). Related: Contentiously; contentiousness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper