- a thickness of wood forming a base for a veneer.
- a wooden construction, as in a door, forming a backing for veneers.
- a thickness of base metal beneath a cladding.
- the softer interior of a piece of casehardened metal.
- a specially formed refractory object inserted into a mold to produce cavities or depressions in the casting that cannot be readily formed on the pattern.
- Also called magnetic core. a small ring or loop of ferromagnetic material with two states of polarization that can be changed by changing the direction of the current applied in wires wound around the ring, used to store one bit of information or to perform switching or logical functions.
- Also called main memory, RAM. a term used to refer to main memory, though no longer made from from coils of ferromagnetic material.
verb (used with object), cored, cor·ing.
Words nearby core
Origin of core1
OTHER WORDS FROM corecore·less, adjective
Examples from the Web for cored
But then, this summer, fashion came in and gutted it, cored it like an apple.I Snuck Into Proenza Schouler: A Tale of New York Fashion Week by Jacob Tomsky|Jacob Tomsky|September 17, 2012|DAILY BEAST
When it boils, slice into it twelve pippins, sliced and cored.
Pears are peeled and cored; apples peeled, cored, and quartered.The Easiest Way in Housekeeping and Cooking|Helen Campbell
Roll 1/2 inch thick, cut into squares and lay in center of each an apple, pared and cored.The Story of Crisco|Marion Harris Neil
Have the fruit washed and pared, and, if apples or pears, quartered and cored.
Siberian crabs may be preserved in the same way, except that they are not peeled and cored.
British Dictionary definitions for cored (1 of 2)
n acronym for (in the US)
British Dictionary definitions for cored (2 of 2)
- the central, innermost, or most essential part of somethingthe core of the argument
- (as modifier)the core meaning
- one of several processing units working in parallel in a computer
- a ferrite ring formerly used in a computer memory to store one bit of information
- short for core store
- (as modifier)core memory
Derived forms of corecoreless, adjective
Word Origin for core
Medicine definitions for cored
Science definitions for cored
Culture definitions for cored
notes for core
notes for core
Idioms and Phrases with cored
see rotten to the core.