- the chief magistrate of a town in Spain.
- History/Historical. (in Spanish America)
- a minor administrative unit.
- the chief officer of such a district.
Origin of corregidor
Examples from the Web for corregidores
Historical Examples of corregidores
This American comrade shall bribe his courts, his corregidores.The Story of a Mine
These distributions were under the superintendence of the provincial authorities, the corregidores, and the sub-delegados.
I allude to domestic service in the houses of the corregidores, sub-delegados, and priests.
The repartimiento had lately been put in force by the corregidores with even more than the usual injustice.Manco, the Peruvian Chief
The corregidores and alcaldes also exercise the functions of a justice of the peace in the cantons and rural districts.
- an island at the entrance to Manila Bay, in the Philippines: site of the defeat of American forces by the Japanese (1942) in World War II