- a ridge or groove produced in anything by folding, heat, pressure, etc.; fold; furrow.
- a wrinkle, especially one on the face.
- the straight, vertical edge or line produced in the front and back of trousers, especially men's trousers, by pressing, as with a steam presser or iron.
- Ice Hockey. the marked rectangular area in front of each goal cage, into which an offensive player can skate only if that player has the puck, if the puck is already within the area, or if the goalie is absent.
- to make a crease or creases in or on; wrinkle.
- to wound or stun by a furrowing or superficial shot: The bullet merely creased his shoulder.
- to become creased.
Origin of crease1
Synonyms for creaseSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
or crease, kris
- a short sword or heavy dagger with a wavy blade, used by the Malays.
Origin of creese
Related Words for creasecrinkle, wrinkle, pucker, pleat, corrugation, ridge, bulge, tuck, overlap, cockle, ruck, bend, plica, line, groove, furrow, purse, plait, crimp, crumple
Examples from the Web for crease
Contemporary Examples of crease
That zone is a fault line, a crease in the planet floor between the North American plate and the Continental plate.Hurricane Sandy Will Be Dwarfed by an Earthquake
November 5, 2012
Historical Examples of crease
With a crease in his lips which now were dry no longer, he looked at Cassy.The Paliser case
I punched a hole with a pin in the crease of the envelope at each end.A Little Miss Nobody
Amy Bell Marlowe
You've kept it folded too long, and the goods is all gone along the crease.My Antonia
The other Etonian is already within a couple of yards of the crease.The Hill
Horace Annesley Vachell
Although not the nearest to him, he resolved to crease this horse.The Dog Crusoe and his Master
- a line or mark produced by folding, pressing, or wrinkling
- a wrinkle or furrow, esp on the face
- cricket any three lines near each wicket marking positions for the bowler or batsmanSee also bowling crease, popping crease, return crease
- ice hockey the small rectangular area in front of each goal cage
- Also called: goal crease lacrosse the circular area surrounding the goal
- to make or become wrinkled or furrowed
- (tr) to graze with a bullet, causing superficial injury
- (often foll by up) slang to be or cause to be greatly amused
Word Origin for crease
- a rare spelling of kris
- a rare spelling of kris
Word Origin and History for crease
1660s, altered from creaste "a ridge," perhaps a variant of crest, via meaning "a fold in a length of cloth" (mid-15c.) which produced a crest. As a verb, from 1580s. Related: Creased; creasing.
- A line made by folding or wrinkling, as in the skin.