- to produce (a hybrid); hybridize.
- to undertake or engage in hybridizing; hybridize.
- a crossbred.
Origin of crossbreed
Related Words for cross-breedingland, join, copulate, couple, wed, serve, procreate, merge, yoke, pair, tie, generate, match, cohabit, crossbreed, breed, cross-fertilize, mingle, blend, interbreed
Examples from the Web for cross-breeding
Historical Examples of cross-breeding
The cross-breeding of stock was another subject he had taken up.In the Heart of Vosges
In the animal kingdom the mule is a common example of this cross-breeding.Agriculture for Beginners
Charles William Burkett
Both the wool and the mutton have been improved by cross-breeding with good stock.Commercial Geography
Jacques W. Redway
But the Japanese had, so far as can be ascertained, little advantage from cross-breeding.Problems of the Pacific
But the product of a hundred years of cross-breeding was a splendid type of citizenship.The Old Northwest
Frederic Austin Ogg
- Also: interbreed to breed (animals or plants) using parents of different races, varieties, breeds, etc
- the offspring produced by such a breeding
- To produce a hybrid animal or plant by breeding two animals or two plants of different species or varieties. For example, crossbreeding a male donkey with a female horse will produce a mule.
- An animal or a plant produced by breeding two animals or plants of different species or varieties; a hybrid.