- to provide with cross references or with a cross-referenced index.
- to refer by a note or indication of location to related material, as in an index, book, or article; contain cross references: Footnotes cross-index to the appendix and bibliography.
Origin of cross-index
First recorded in 1890–95
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cross-indexing
Association is memory's method of indexing and cross-indexing.Memory
William Walker Atkinson
- a note or notes referring the reader to other material
- (intr) (of a note in a book) to refer to related material
- to provide or be provided with cross-indexes
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012