- a road that crosses another road, or one that runs transversely to main roads.
- a by-road.
- Often crossroads. (used with a singular or plural verb)
- the place where roads intersect.
- a point at which a vital decision must be made.
- a main center of activity.
Origin of crossroad
Examples from the Web for crossroad
Historical Examples of crossroad
There is just this one little tree, near the crossroad by the old stone house.The Green Satin Gown
Laura E. Richards
There was an arrow pointing along the crossroad and off to the right.Galusha the Magnificent
Joseph C. Lincoln
At a crossroad, in fact, the white pack had vanished into void.Mayflower (Flor de mayo)
Vicente Blasco Ibez
She had not gone far when she saw a boy coming out of a crossroad.Peggy in Her Blue Frock
Eliza Orne White
They came to a crossroad, turned into it, and stopped short before a gate.The Windy Hill
- a road that crosses another road
- Also called: crossway a road that crosses from one main road to another