- the cultivation of microorganisms, as bacteria, or of tissues, for scientific study, medicinal use, etc.
- the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.
verb (used with object), cul·tured, cul·tur·ing.
- to grow (microorganisms, tissues, etc.) in or on a controlled or defined medium.
- to introduce (living material) into a culture medium.
THIS WEEK’S WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ IS POSITIVELY FELICIFIC
Origin of culture
OTHER WORDS FROM culture
Words nearby culture
Example sentences from the Web for cultures
The city served as a crossroads for African, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern cultures.
It's often said that America is a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities.
Death is interpreted differently by various people, cultures, and even science.
And by pronouncing other cultures and political systems “evil,” there was the assurance that America was good.
The President frequently touts his international culture background as proof of his understanding of other cultures.
The boundaries of cultures and rainfall never follow survey lines.Guide to Life and Literature of the Southwest|J. Frank Dobie
Cultures were made of these samples, and bacilli of different types were developed in the culture medium in a short time.Paint Technology and Tests|Henry A. Gardner
Denmark was already a meeting-place for a variety of cultures, thoughts, and influences.The New Stone Age in Northern Europe|John M. Tyler
Kingdoms and peoples, cultures and institutions, pass away like dreams.
Thus, they sensed a commonality not only of interests but also of cultures.Area Handbook for Bulgaria|Eugene K. Keefe, Violeta D. Baluyut, William Giloane, Anne K. Long, James M. Moore, and Neda A. Walpole
British Dictionary definitions for cultures
- the experimental growth of microorganisms, such as bacteria and fungi, in a nutrient substance (culture medium), usually under controlled conditionsSee also culture medium
- a group of microorganisms grown in this way
Derived forms of cultureculturist, nouncultureless, adjective
Word Origin for culture
Medical definitions for cultures
Scientific definitions for cultures
Cultural definitions for cultures
The sum of attitudes, customs, and beliefs that distinguishes one group of people from another. Culture is transmitted, through language, material objects, ritual, institutions, and art, from one generation to the next.