or daal, dhal
- a sauce made from lentils and spices, usually served with rice.
Origin of dal
- dekaliter; dekaliters.
- the eighth letter of the Arabic alphabet.
Origin of dāl
- a river in S Sweden, flowing SE from the W border to the Gulf of Bothnia. About 250 miles (405 km) long.
Examples from the Web for dal
Historical Examples of dal
Dal says he asked 'em, and he says they says, 'Well, why not?The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Besides, Dal explains that Leopold is a young man who dominates all around him.
Has Dal been having something beyond the common in the way of adventures?
The fancy seemed to be mutual; but then, who could ever resist Dal, if he wanted to be liked?
Think you will be able to live through this awful winter, Dal?To Win or to Die
George Manville Fenn
- split grain, a common foodstuff in India; pulse
- a variant spelling of dhal
1690s, from Hindi dal "split pulse," from Sanskrit dala, from dal "to split."