- Ecology. an area in a body of water, especially an ocean, having oxygen levels that are not adequate to support life: shellfish threatened by an annual dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico.
- dead spot(def 1).
- a period or place where there is little activity or excitement: A dead zone for home sales is November and December.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an area of water that cannot support marine life, being virtually devoid of oxygen due to the presence of nitrates that stimulate algae growth
- an area where a mobile phone does not receive a signal
- any area where something does not exist or prospera dead zone for cinemas
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012