- to deceive (an opponent) by a fake.
- a fake or feint intended to deceive a defensive player, often drawing that player out of position.
Origin of deke
- Donald KentDeke, 1924–1993, U.S. astronaut.
Examples from the Web for deke
Contemporary Examples of deke
So she asks bodyguard Deke and his friend Luc for an education.
Historical Examples of deke
"But Roddy and Deke were different," reflected Hicks, pondering seriously.
It was Roddy's tremendous ambition that had to be curbed, and Deke was the victim of circumstances.
- (esp in ice hockey) the act or an instance of feinting
- (esp in ice hockey) to deceive (an opponent) by carrying out a feint
Word Origin for deke
1960, ice hockey slang for a quick feinting move, short for decoy. The verb is attested from 1961.