- failing in or neglectful of a duty or obligation; guilty of a misdeed or offense.
- (of an account, tax, debt, etc.) past due; overdue.
- of or relating to delinquents or delinquency: delinquent attitudes.
- a person who is delinquent.
- juvenile delinquent.
Origin of delinquent
- someone, esp a young person, guilty of delinquencySee juvenile delinquent
- archaic a person who fails in an obligation or duty
- guilty of an offence or misdeed, esp one of a minor nature
- failing in or neglectful of duty or obligation
Word Origin for delinquent
late 15c., from Middle French délinquant, from present participle of délinquer (15c.), and directly from Latin delinquentum (nominative delinquens), present participle of delinquere "to fail; be wanting, fall short; offend," from de- "completely" (see de-) + linquere "to leave" (see relinquish). As an adjective, from c.1600.