- a crescent.
- Fortification. an outwork resembling a bastion with a crescent-shaped gorge.
- a crescent or half-moon shape, as of the top of a piece of furniture.
- shaped like a crescent.
Origin of demilune
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for demilune
Historical Examples of demilune
At either end of this crescent or demilune is a large orbweb, surmounted by a tower.
The breastwork or demilune that had been woven around the outer bounds was leveled in an instant.
- fortifications an outwork in front of a fort, shaped like a crescent moon
- a crescent-shaped object or formation; half-moon
Word Origin for demilune
C18: from French, literally: half-moon
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A small body shaped like a half-moon or crescent, such as one of the crescent-shaped cells surrounding certain mucous glands.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.