- intense desire; strong natural craving; appetite.
- instinctive inclination or natural tendency.
- material or chemical attraction or affinity.
Origin of appetence
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for appetencelonging, penchant, liking, urge, wish, hunger, drive, appetency, lust, yearning, thirst, appetite, craving, pining
Examples from the Web for appetence
Historical Examples of appetence
For perception in any subject is vain, unless it can desire, and appetence is useless, unless it can move.
- a natural craving or desire
- a natural or instinctive inclination
- an attraction or affinity
Word Origin for appetence
C17: from Latin appetentia, from appetere to crave
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper