- intense desire; strong natural craving; appetite.
- instinctive inclination or natural tendency.
- material or chemical attraction or affinity.
Origin of appetence
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for appetence
For perception in any subject is vain, unless it can desire, and appetence is useless, unless it can move.
- a natural craving or desire
- a natural or instinctive inclination
- an attraction or affinity
C17: from Latin appetentia, from appetere to crave
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for appetence
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper