- to cause to go through the process of natural evolution from a previous and lower stage.
- to cause to progress from an embryonic to an adult form.
- to render visible (the latent image on an exposed film or the like).
- to treat (an exposed film or the like) with chemicals so as to render the latent image visible.
- to progress from an embryonic to an adult form.
- to progress from earlier to later stages of ontogeny or phylogeny.
- to reach sexual maturity.
Origin of develop
OTHER WORDS FROM develop
How to use develop in a sentence
Nam has developed a personal style that she considers key to her vast following.
The company, which participated in TechCrunch Disrupt’s 2020 Startup Battlefield competition, has developed a novel way to get diesel style engines to operate on renewable fuels like ethanol.ClearFlame Engine Technologies takes aim at cleaning up diesel engines|Kirsten Korosec|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
He and Moore also remained friends, but began to develop romantic feelings for each other.WNBA Player Maya Moore Marries Jonathan Irons, The Man She Helped Free From Prison|Jasmine Grant|September 17, 2020|Essence.com
People around the globe need outreach to prepare them to understand and accept a vaccine, she says, and that needs to start now so when a vaccine is developed, people are willing to get it.A coronavirus vaccine will save more lives if we share it widely|Kat Eschner|September 17, 2020|Popular-Science
In forested towns prone to fire and floods, it may be necessary for people to eventually move to more-developed areas.California wildfires may give way to massive mudslides|Ula Chrobak|September 17, 2020|Popular-Science
Rates are thought to be similar in developed countries around the world.How Skinny Is Too Skinny? Israel Bans ‘Underweight’ Models|Carrie Arnold|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Four weeks after the injections, all 20 of the participants had developed the antibodies needed to stave off the infection.
Family members say he developed also liver cancer after his capture.
A lot of actors are good, but Phil was a fully developed artist.Coffee Talk with Ethan Hawke: On ‘Boyhood,’ Jennifer Lawrence, and Bill Clinton’s Urinal Exchange|Marlow Stern|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Similar reinforced plinths were developed by the Getty museums in Los Angeles to absorb the seismic movements there.
A constant sense of easy balance should be developed through poising exercises.Expressive Voice Culture|Jessie Eldridge Southwick
It wasn't far, so we kept on, and presently it developed that we had accidentally come upon old Piegan Smith.
In a general way the fronds are best collected during the summer and autumn, when they will, of course, be well developed.How to Know the Ferns|S. Leonard Bastin
There was a while when I developed a marvelous capacity for dodging invitations to Fort Walsh.
Nothing was out of the ordinary except that the Professor developed an odd trick of continually glancing at his right hand.Uncanny Tales|Various
British Dictionary definitions for develop
- to treat (film, plate, or paper previously exposed to light, or the latent image in such material) with chemical solutions in order to produce a visible image
- to process (photographic material) in order to produce negatives and prints