- a place where something is dispensed, especially medicines.
- a charitable or public facility where medicines are furnished and free or inexpensive medical advice is available.
Origin of dispensary
Related Words for dispensarydispensary, box, counter, pew, hut, stall, corner, cubicle, hospital, sickroom, berth, coop, repository, shed, nook, pen, hutch, stand, cubbyhole, compartment
Examples from the Web for dispensary
Contemporary Examples of dispensary
This year, the dispensary is launching its sale on Thanksgiving, carrying over into Black Friday.
Thus far, the most talked-about Green Friday hotspot is Denver dispensary the Grass Station.
Few applicants had a location nailed down to accommodate their indoor cultivation and dispensary needs.Weed Cops Blaze New Trail
Valerie Vande Panne
March 4, 2014
But the dispensary business is built on fictions that make it almost inherently non-law-abiding.Tax Cuts for Pot Law-Breakers?
September 13, 2013
Historical Examples of dispensary
At present there is no dispensary on the island but there are a number of "blind tigers."The Negro Farmer
There was no mill there then, nor a school-house, no, nor a dispensary either!The Martins Of Cro' Martin, Vol. II (of II)
Charles James Lever
Its influence also was strongly used against a Dispensary Bill.
Lower on the hillside they had built a dispensary and hospital.
Then I conveyed him by easy stages to Gunji, where I have a dispensary, and attended to him.
- a place where medicine and medical supplies are dispensed
"place for weighing out medicines," 1690s, from Medieval Latin dispensarius "one who dispenses," from Latin dispensare (see dispense).
- An office in a hospital or other institution from which medical supplies and medicines are dispensed.
- A public institution that dispenses medicines or medical aid.
- An outpatient department of a hospital.