[dawg-ber-ee, -buh-ree, dog-]
- a foolish constable in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.
- any foolish, blundering, or stupid official.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of certain plants that have berry-like fruits, such as the European dogwood or the bearberry
- the fruit of any of these plants
- (sometimes capital) a foolish, meddling, and usually old official
after Dogberry, character in Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing (1598)