- a violent fight between dogs.
- a fight between warring fighter planes.
- any rough-and-tumble physical battle.
verb (used with object), dog·fought, dog·fight·ing.
- to engage in a dogfight with.
verb (used without object), dog·fought, dog·fight·ing.
- to engage in a dogfight.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for dogfighting
- close quarters combat between fighter aircraft
- any rough violent fight
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for dogfighting
"aerial combat," World War I air forces slang, from earlier meaning "riotous brawl" (1880s); from dog (n.) + fight (n.). The literal sense of "a fight among or between dogs" is from 1650s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper