- the back, as of the body.
- the back or outer surface of an organ, part, etc.
Origin of dorsum
Examples from the Web for dorsum
Historical Examples of dorsum
Addorsal: close to but not quite on the middle of the dorsum.Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology
John. B. Smith
On the anterior part of the dorsum of one of the living spiders was the egg.Wasps
George W. Peckham
The skin of the dorsum is thick and glandular, but not tuberculate.
In some individuals the dark reticulation on the dorsum is faint.
No spiracles are discernible on the dorsum of the eighth segment.Journal of Entomology and Zoology
- a technical name for the back 1
- any analogous surfacethe dorsum of the hand
Word Origin for dorsum
- The back.
- The upper, outer surface of an organ, appendage, or part.