- of uncertain outcome or result.
- admitting of or causing doubt; uncertain; ambiguous.
- unsettled in opinion or belief; undecided; hesitating.
- of equivocal or questionable character: His tactics are highly doubtful.
Origin of doubtful
Synonyms for doubtfulSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for doubtful
Related Words for doubtfulnessuncertainty, question, mistrust, dubiousness, indecision, suspicion, dubiety, skepticism, implausibility, questionability, unreasonableness
Examples from the Web for doubtfulness
Historical Examples of doubtfulness
The doubtfulness as to their adaptability to the representative form of government.The Arena
She was haunted by an uneasy sense of doubtfulness as to her social position.In the Year of Jubilee
There was incredulity in the question, but also there was a tinge of doubtfulness too.Local Color
Irvin S. Cobb
His replies were oracular neither in brevity nor in doubtfulness of meaning.The Life of Albert Gallatin
Mr. Zwiebel looked at his wife with an elaborate assumption of doubtfulness.The Competitive Nephew
- unlikely; improbable
- characterized by or causing doubt; uncertaina doubtful answer
- unsettled; unresolved
- of questionable reputation or morality
- having reservations or misgivings
- (of a sportsperson) not likely to be fit enough to play or take part
- a person who is undecided or uncertain about an issue
- a sportsperson who is not likely to be fit enough to play or take part