- subject to fears, doubts, etc.; not self-confident or assured: an insecure person.
- not confident or certain; uneasy; anxious: He was insecure about the examination.
- not secure; exposed or liable to risk, loss, or danger: an insecure stock portfolio.
- not firmly or reliably placed or fastened: an insecure ladder.
Origin of insecure
Synonyms for insecureSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for insecureafraid, unsure, hesitant, touchy, shaky, apprehensive, anxious, uptight, troubled, unstable, wobbly, frail, unreliable, immature, vulnerable, unsafe, diffident, jumpy, questioning, vague
Examples from the Web for insecure
Contemporary Examples of insecure
With its eastern borders under siege from Russia, Ukrainians feel cornered and insecure.The Great Wall of Ukraine
October 27, 2014
If they do, the jobs are low-level, part-time, temporary, insecure, and require supplementing with freelancing.How to Get Laid in Brooklyn a la Adelle Waldman’s Nifty Novel of Manners
July 25, 2014
“We live in a society where there are girls who are in love with theirself and flaunt it but the majority are insecure,” says one.Cara Delevingne Posts Protest Picture Of Her Boob (With Taped-Out Nipple)
July 14, 2014
School is a visually-competitive, weird, and cutting environment, and everyone is so insecure.La Roux Discusses New Album ‘Trouble in Paradise,’ the 5-Year Gap, and Embracing Her Androgyny
July 6, 2014
But President Putin, What if Every Man Who is Insecure About His Masculinity Invaded Crimea?PJ O’Rourke on Putin’s Crimea for Help
P. J. O’Rourke
March 7, 2014
Historical Examples of insecure
But this is insecure ground, and the meaning can but be guessed at.Devon, Its Moorlands, Streams and Coasts
He realized that his tenure was insecure, and he dreaded exposure.Jesus the Christ
James Edward Talmage
Her foot slipped from its insecure rock hold and she stumbled.The Highgrader
William MacLeod Raine
He left her with the feeling that the foundations70 of life, as she was leading it, were insecure.The Letter of the Contract
The friendship of nations will still be insecure and shifting.The Psychology of Nations
- anxious or afraid; not confident or certain
- not adequately protectedan insecure fortress
- unstable or shaky
- Lacking emotional stability; not well-adjusted.
- Lacking self-confidence; plagued by anxiety.