[adverb, adjective doun-hil; noun doun-hil]
- going or tending downward on or as on a hill.
- free of problems or obstacles; easy: After the initial setbacks on the project, it was downhill all the way.
- of or relating to skiing downhill.
- a timed ski race on a steep slope in which competitors take the most direct route to the finish line following a course with relatively few turns and attaining very high speeds.
Origin of downhill
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for downhill
Pat Robertson finished second in the 1988 Iowa caucus, and it was all downhill from there.Can Huckabee Convert the GOP’s Moneymen?
January 4, 2015
When downhill racer Julia Mancuso did it, she wore the American flag like a cape.What’s a Key to Victory in Sochi? Coming So Close to Defeat.
February 23, 2014
Downhill track sports like luge are technology battles, as exciting as a NASCAR qualifying day.The Stench of Sochi
February 12, 2014
In a 2005 Bormio, Italy downhill he lost a ski off a jump at over 60mph, stayed up, and skied the rest of the course.The Can't-Miss Sochi Showdown: Bode Miller And Ted Ligety
February 9, 2014
Suggestion for increased viewership among key 18-to-34 male demographic: downhill ice dancing.Up to a Point: PJ O’Rourke on Sochi and Senate Slackers
P. J. O’Rourke
February 7, 2014
He took Allister from Kirsty, and we sped away, for it was all downhill now.Ranald Bannerman's Boyhood
Yet, if she does not set her face against "Gadarening," we are all bound for downhill.Another Sheaf
It was a downhill run, with their hopes rising every moment.The Mountain Divide
Frank H. Spearman
If it was downhill to the city it would be uphill coming back.The Measurement of Intelligence
Lewis Madison Terman
The return journey was accomplished in about a quarter of an hour, for it was all downhill.Dick Leslie's Luck
- going or sloping down
- towards the bottom of a hill; downwards
- go downhill informal to decline; deteriorate
- the downward slope of a hill; descent
- a competitive event in which skiers are timed in a downhill run
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for downhill
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper