- (in tennis, badminton, etc.) a ball or shuttlecock so softly hit that it falls to the playing surface just after clearing the net.
- (in squash, handball, etc.) a ball so softly hit that it falls suddenly to the ground just after striking the front wall.
- shot made in a shot tower.
Origin of drop shot
First recorded in 1630–40
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- tennisa softly-played return that drops abruptly after clearing the net, intended to give an opponent no chance of reaching the ball and usually achieved by imparting backspin
- squasha similar shot that stops abruptly after hitting the front wall of the court
- a type of shot made by permitting molten metal to percolate through a sieve and then dropping it into a tank of water