- Edward,1927–89, U.S. novelist and nature writer.
- Edwin Austin,1852–1911, U.S. painter and illustrator.
- a female given name, form of Abigail.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a building inhabited by a community of monks or nuns governed by an abbot or abbess
- a church built in conjunction with such a building
- such a community of monks or nuns
C13: via Old French abeie from Church Latin abbātia abbacy
Word Origin and History for edward abbey
mid-13c., "convent headed by an abbot or abbess," from Anglo-French abbeie, Old French abaïe, from Late Latin abbatia, from abbas (genitive abbatis); see abbot.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper