- a medicine or procedure that promotes menstrual discharge.
- Also em·men·a·gog·ic [uh-men-uh-goj-ik, -gog-, uh-mee-nuh-] /əˌmɛn əˈgɒdʒ ɪk, -ˈgɒg-, əˌmi nə-/. stimulating the menstrual flow.
Origin of emmenagogue
Examples from the Web for emmenagogue
Historical Examples of emmenagogue
The bark and the tips of the branches are given as an emmenagogue.
The flowers are given in decoction for headache and the fruit is emmenagogue.
Ammonio-chloride of iron is tonic, emmenagogue, and aperient.
Antispasmodic, emmenagogue, and tonic, and slightly aperient.
These pills are stimulant, expectorant, antispasmodic, and emmenagogue.
- a drug or agent that increases menstrual flow
- inducing or increasing menstrual flow
Word Origin for emmenagogue
- An agent that induces or hastens menstrual flow.hemagogue