- inflammation of the substance of the brain.
- Also called encephali·tis le·thar·gi·ca [li-thahr-ji-kuh] /lɪˈθɑr dʒɪ kə/. a form of this condition, caused by a filterable virus and characterized by apathy and abnormal sleepiness; sleeping sickness.
Origin of encephalitis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for encephalitis
It can cause pneumonia and encephalitis, as well as the telltale rash and “measly” feeling of those who are ill.A Maddening Case of the Measles in Orthodox Jewish Brooklyn
June 13, 2013
Purulent lepto-meningitis is usually accompanied by encephalitis.
In encephalitis and myelitis there is an interruption of motor nerve-currents.
- inflammation of the brain
Word Origin and History for encephalitis
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Inflammation of the brain.cephalitis
- Inflammation of the brain, usually caused by infection with a virus.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.