- to provide with a permanent fund or source of income: to endow a college.
- to furnish, as with some talent, faculty, or quality; equip: Nature has endowed her with great ability.
- Obsolete. to provide with a dower.
- (of a life-insurance policy) to become payable; yield its conditions.
Origin of endow
Synonyms for endowSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for endowed
Contemporary Examples of endowed
The wide-open Nebraskan landscape is endowed with a raw grace.Death in the Heartland: What Happened to Steven Haataja?
March 16, 2014
The money would come from "a combination of mandatory student fees and an endowed lecture fund."Cory Booker's Iowa Scheduling Snafu
July 29, 2013
Montalbán endowed his Catalan gumshoe with an equally impressive set of quirks that are aired and explored in each book.The Foodie Detective: The Pepe Carvalho Novels by Manuel Vázquez Montalbán
October 3, 2012
Well, it is in fact true that the unique geology of Afghanistan has endowed the country with vast mineral deposits.Afghanistan’s Mineral Wealth Could Be a Bonanza—or Lead to Disaster
Dr. Cheryl Benard
July 4, 2012
Endowed with a gentle demeanour, he is almost always clutching a small notebook, which he scribbles on intermittently.Manhattan's Diva of Dirt
February 18, 2010
Historical Examples of endowed
That they are endowed by the Creator with certain unalienable rights.Slavery Ordained of God
Rev. Fred A. Ross, D.D.
Prophets were endowed with a peculiar and extraordinary power.A Theological-Political Treatise [Part I]
Benedict of Spinoza
They even believe them endowed with something celestial and the spirit of prophecy.Tacitus on Germany
Each cause can be endowed with an importance which outdoes all the others.Mountain Meditations
Those ideals will be the greatest capital with which you can be endowed.Morals in Trade and Commerce
Frank B. Anderson
- to provide with or bequeath a source of permanent income
- (usually foll by with) to provide (with qualities, characteristics, etc)
- obsolete to provide with a dower
Word Origin for endow
1700, past participle adjective from endow.