- to provide with a permanent fund or source of income: to endow a college.
- to furnish, as with some talent, faculty, or quality; equip: Nature has endowed her with great ability.
- Obsolete. to provide with a dower.
- (of a life-insurance policy) to become payable; yield its conditions.
Origin of endow
1350–1400; Middle English endowen < Old French endouer, equivalent to en- en-1 + douer < Latin dōtāre to dower, equivalent to dōt- (stem of dōs) dowry + -āre infinitive suffix
SynonymsSee more synonyms for endow on Thesaurus.com
2. invest, clothe, endue.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for endowing
Endowing the feverish, PR-patrolled world of presidential politics with thoughtfulness and poise—now that would be radical.Inside The Secret World of London’s National Gallery
November 8, 2014
He goes further, endowing his machines with a spiritual aura.Zen, Motorcycles, And The Cult of Tech: How Robert Pirsig’s Classic Anticipated the Future
August 31, 2014
Venus enters your sign, endowing you with diplomatic energy.What the Stars Hold for Your Week
Starsky + Cox
July 23, 2011
But it really takes paying for a building or endowing a chair to have that kind of privilege.Dirty Secrets of College Admissions
January 9, 2009
The founding or endowing of universities and public libraries by gift or bequest.The Devil's Dictionary
When the poet makes his perfect selection of a word, he is endowing the word with life.The Lyric
Since King David, Allah has not thought of endowing his prophets with musical talent.The Book of Khalid
He is endowing four scholarships to study the twenty per cent.Fundamentals of Prosperity
Roger W. Babson
Mr Carnegie, in endowing education, is endowing that which he has publicly condemned.American Sketches
- to provide with or bequeath a source of permanent income
- (usually foll by with) to provide (with qualities, characteristics, etc)
- obsolete to provide with a dower
C14: from Old French endouer, from en- 1 + douer, from Latin dōtāre, from dōs dowry
Word Origin and History for endowing
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper