- Embryology. the modified outer layer of the epidermis that partially covers the fetal fingernails and toenails and that persists after birth as the cuticle.
- Anatomy. a thin, cuticular fold extending over the lunula of a nail.
Origin of eponychium
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- An infection affecting the proximal nail fold.
- The condensed eleidin-rich areas of the epidermis preceding the formation of nails in the embryo.
- The thin skin adhering to the nail at its base.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.