- Also e·van·gel·ic. pertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.
- belonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, especially of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.
- designating Christians, especially of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.
- pertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.
- marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.
- an adherent of evangelical doctrines or a person who belongs to an evangelical church or party.
Origin of evangelical
Related Words for evangelicreligious, pious, divine, orthodox, scriptural, Christian, apostolic, evangelic
Examples from the Web for evangelic
Historical Examples of evangelic
Indeed, it is so full of evangelic sweetness, that we must quote it.Notes on the Book of Deuteronomy, Volume II
Charles Henry Mackintosh
Yet that exorable Russian is less an elevated realist than an evangelic socialist.L-bas
J. K. Huysmans
His choice wavered between the evangelic wistfulness of "Are you saved?"Zuleika Dobson
Verily he opened his mouth to the evangelic lore, who in the old law was wont to open the mouths of the prophets.
The quarrel that the world has with evangelic men and doctrines, they would have with a host of angels in the human form.The Works of William Cowper
- of, based upon, or following from the Gospels
- denoting or relating to any of certain Protestant sects or parties, which emphasize the importance of personal conversion and faith in atonement through the death of Christ as a means of salvation
- another word for evangelistic
- an upholder of evangelical doctrines or a member of an evangelical sect or party, esp the Low-Church party of the Church of England