- something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, especially one of some importance.
- the outcome, issue, or result of anything: The venture had no successful event.
- something that occurs in a certain place during a particular interval of time.
- Physics. in relativity, an occurrence that is sharply localized at a single point in space and instant of time.Compare world point.
- Sports. any of the contests in a program made up of one sport or of a number of sports: The broad jump event followed the pole vault.
- in any event, regardless of what happens; in any case.Also at all events.
- in the event of, if there should be: In the event of rain, the party will be held indoors.
- in the event that, if it should happen that; in case: In the event that I can't come back by seven, you can eat without me.
Origin of event
Synonyms for event
Examples from the Web for eventless
Historical Examples of eventless
I once wrote "eventless;" but, on looking, found it not.Page 292 Yet why not?
Besides, "uneventful" does not mean the same as "eventless."
The two eventless months also brought the note sixty days nearer due.Dominie Dean
Ellis Parker Butler
His early history was probably as unimportant and eventless as my own.The Story of a Country Town
Edgar Watson Howe
For it is impossible that life, in whatever conditions, can be eventless.Once Aboard The Lugger
Arthur Stuart-Menteth Hutchinson
- anything that takes place or happens, esp something important; happening; incident
- the actual or final outcome; result (esp in the phrases in the event, after the event)
- any one contest in a programme of sporting or other conteststhe high jump is his event
- an occurrence regarded as a bare instant of space-time as contrasted with an object which fills space and has endurance
- an occurrence regarded in isolation from, or contrasted with, human agencyCompare act (def. 8)
- in any event or at all events regardless of circumstances; in any case
- in the event of in case of; if (such a thing) happensin the event of rain the race will be cancelled
- in the event that if it should happen that
- to take part or ride (a horse) in eventing
Word Origin for event
see blessed event; in any case (event); in case (in the event); in the unlikely event.