- a passage or quotation taken or selected from a book, document, film, or the like; extract.
- to take or select (a passage) from a book, film, or the like; extract.
- to take or select passages from (a book, film, or the like); abridge by choosing representative sections.
Origin of excerpt
Synonyms for excerptSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for excerpted
Contemporary Examples of excerpted
Excerpted from Capitol Men: The Epic Story of Reconstruction Through the Lives of the First Black Congressmen by Philip Dray.The Black Man Who Replaced Jefferson Davis in the Senate
January 7, 2015
Excerpted from Moneyball for Government, published by Disruption Books, and reprinted with permission.Can the U.S. Government Go Moneyball?
Peter Orszag, Jim Nussle
December 23, 2014
Excerpted with the permission of the publisher, Rowman & Littlefield.A West Point MVP Who Never Played a Down
December 13, 2014
Excerpted by permission of Harper Books, a division of HarperCollins Publishers.
Excerpted from BECOMING RICHARD PRYOR Copyright © 2014 by Scott Saul.
Historical Examples of excerpted
He added many new titles that he had found or had excerpted from Grundtvig's criticism.A History of Bibliographies of Bibliographies
In these instances, this e-book has been made to follow the excerpted reprint, and not the original, larger work.The Biography of Robert Murray M'Cheyne
Andrew A. Bonar
This sounds very much as if it had been excerpted from the scientific column of the London "Athenæum."
In the Sentences one excerpted opinion was given and another possibly divergent, and at the end an adjustment was presented.
It would be tedious to follow its excerpted presentation of the profane and sacred matter.
- a part or passage taken from a book, speech, play, etc, and considered on its own; extract
- (tr) to take (a part or passage) from a book, speech, play, etc
Word Origin for excerpt
1630s, from Latin excerptum "an extract, selection," noun use of neuter past participle of excerpere (see excerpt (v.)). Related: excerpts.